Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Growth

December 2010: the year is almost over. I love endings; I love the feeling of accomplishing something; I love looking back at the progress that's been made.

I've been teaching out in the field as a Parelli Professional for just over a year now, and what a year it has been. I've had my fair share of highs and lows, successes and lessons learned. I've kept "positive, progressive and natural" on loop in my mind. It's a wonderful motto that has helped me keep myself in check.

With those two things in mind, I take a look at the last year of my life: I became a Parelli Professional (a dream of mine since I started Parelli 7 years ago), my mother unexpectedly passed away, I got engaged to be married, my success as an instructor grew, my fiance left for deployment for a year, I progressed in the Parelli program professionally, and I encountered lesson after lesson in personal development. And as Linda quoted her mentor, Glynn Braddy in her blog this past summer,“personal growth is rarely comfortable or convenient,” I see the hardships, but I also see the growth.

Interestingly enough, I felt the uncomfortable feelings, and I knew I was growing from them, but not until I really began to reflect on the year did I really see any changes. So imagine how it felt for someone who likes results to not feel or see any growth? But look what I learned...by reflecting back on where I used to be, comparing it to where I am now, while continuing to live in the present, I can see and feel the growth! "Observe, remember, compare and adjust," when did I hear that the first time? 2006. I just learned it at a deeper level this year, and became more aware of what it means.

Now that I can see how far I've come, the distance I have to go has become clearer. Never-ending self-improvement, right?

So most of the personal development that I've had this year has come with uncomfortable situations, which I am now thankful for.  It has all only made me a better instructor, and it has caused me to want to be even better!

Thank you to all of you who have impacted my year, and thank you for your understanding, patience and acceptance of me and my journey. Thank you to all my students, all my friends, other Parelli Professionals, my family, my horses and Steve. What a lucky person I am to have you all in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh so very nice! I can only imagine the fun you will have this year! Congrats! Enzo and Janine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a year! It was surely a pleasure to get to meet you during the instructor course!!!!!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete